Best Kite quiver

ray

Re: Best Kite quiver

Postby ray » Tue May 08, 2018 9:22 am

Haha. Thanks Eric.

By now, Eric is like "stop asking, and start riding, will you?" :)

Btw, I did snowkite 5-6 times this winter. Should have been more, but hopefully this summer will be that season.

fabrizio

Postby fabrizio » Tue May 08, 2018 9:33 am

Hi there,

just my 2 cents.. I think the 12 is a great choice.. and you could just start with that..
but if you really want a second kite i would go with a smaller one (like a 10).. and then leave the 17 for when you are more proficient
my reasoning is that when you are a beginner in the water the hardest things to learn are
i. stay up and ride ii. ride upwind
both these skills are harder to learn with the light winds that are appropriate for a 17..
you'll learn much faster with more robust winds (15 to 20 mph), but with those winds you are (and feel) much safer with a smaller kite..
see you in the water
f.

ray

Postby ray » Tue May 08, 2018 3:00 pm

fabrizio wrote:Hi there,

just my 2 cents.. I think the 12 is a great choice.. and you could just start with that..
but if you really want a second kite i would go with a smaller one (like a 10).. and then leave the 17 for when you are more proficient
my reasoning is that when you are a beginner in the water the hardest things to learn are
i. stay up and ride ii. ride upwind
both these skills are harder to learn with the light winds that are appropriate for a 17..
you'll learn much faster with more robust winds (15 to 20 mph), but with those winds you are (and feel) much safer with a smaller kite..
see you in the water
f.

Thanks Fabrizio. I was just wondering that by taking that bigger LW kite, I will be able to increase the number of times I could be on water. So maybe even if I cannot stay upwind well enough, I can at least still try (by doing the walk of shame). Do you think it is not even worth trying to ride LW in beginning stages?

fabrizio

Postby fabrizio » Mon May 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi Ray,

I believe the more you get out the faster you improve.. so for sure a LW wind big kite would help, as you would get out in lighter days..
mine was more a comment about the buying progression..
I would start with a 12 and as a second kite I would get a 10 because it would give you the opportunity of getting out in those high wind days that are less frequent but allow a faster progression.. but if you feel like getting also a large kite, it won't hurt, especially going into the summer doldrums.. ;)

Return to “EOS Chat”