Oh to Foil

Tighe
Site Admin

Oh to Foil

Postby Tighe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:47 am

For nearly 30 years now I have found the middle of summer challenging. The Jetstream moves north and our winds get light for July and August...the doldrums of Summer. Kiting definitely opened up more riding than windsurfer allowed but mowing the lawn on 16m kites only satiates us to an extent. Nice to be at the lake, in the water, and I find myself wanting more.
Then comes foiling. With foiling I have been able to ride 3-4 times a week through summer. And it's a blast. Part of is that it is so new, but part of it is just how relaxing it is. Mowing the lawn with big kites still takes work...more so than being fully lit. With foiling there is very little forces involved. Any force is immediately turned to speed. I am doing the easy transitions at this point, rolling to topside, rolling back to heal side, so no foot switch. I have found I can easily ride topside all the way across Waconia. I don't think I could do that on a surfboard or a twin. Too strenuous.
If you want to ride more, I highly recommend foiling. I still love to ride the water when the winds are up...but for these summer breezes, foiling is the way to go.
End of Session Productions
Slingshot Kiteboarding Demo Manager

Travis

Re: Oh to Foil

Postby Travis » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:47 pm

What wind levels are you comfortable foiling in? And what size kite are you using for different wind conditions? I need to re-learn the quiver range now that I've made the jump!

Tighe
Site Admin

Postby Tighe » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:34 pm

I mainly ride 8-20mph. Could go higher but 20+ is a blast on twin tip.

I've found I am going smaller and smaller kite for any given wind strength.

I use my 10m SST (slightly smaller than the 10m Rally) from 8mph to about 15-16mph and 8m higher than that. Crazy eh?

I've used the 12m Rally twice and quickly got overpowered and vowed to never do it again. Riding overpowered isn't much fun. Better to be slightly under powered. Early on you want to be powered. As you dial your skills you'll go out less and less powered. Sine waving your kite to get moving is tough early on. Dive and go helps.

let me know if I can assist more.

tighe
End of Session Productions
Slingshot Kiteboarding Demo Manager

Travis

Postby Travis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Good to know. Can't wait to get my first session with the kite!

Return to “EOS Chat”