Slingshot Asylum vs. Vision Board Review

Geo

Slingshot Asylum vs. Vision Board Review

Postby Geo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Slingshot Asylum vs. Vision Board Review.
tested: 138 cm
tested in winds: 15-40.

I’ve been riding a mostly carbon Crazyfly Raptor Pro 137x41 for 4-5 years. Love those boards: light, poppy, nimble, despite being fairly flat due to the carbon. After breaking my second one this Spring, I needed something to demo (gotta ride, dude!) Luckily Tighe had both the Asylum and Vision in pretty much the same sizes at about 138x43. Both boards are 2017, with the drilled inserts for the footbeds. He demos Slinghot stuff, so ask away if you see him in his omnipresent ProMaster Van.

The winds at Lake Waconia were cycling gradually up and down in 10m conditions from maybe 15 to high 20s to 30, so I got to try each for at least an hour in sloggy and lit conditions.

The Asylum is heavier than what I’m used to, but if you are not carrying it to the car or doing board flips (does anyone do those anymore?), I don’t think you’d ever notice. The wood core, extra thickness and width makes for a board that is softer than you’d think given the width in crappy waves, and pretty nice support on landings. That width is great when slogging, and I didn’t feel like it was too bouncy at speed when the chop picked up. Sometimes with a new board, it takes a bit when boosting big so it feels centered or effortless, and that was the case for me. That said, I felt plenty comfortable with rolls and raileys. During one unhooked thing, I lost the tension on the lines, wrapped one around the bar, and as the wind went to nuke mode, ended up WAY WAY down wind…which of course was an excuse to test the upwind capabilities. If you lay on the edge - at least when it is fully powered - it took only 4 tacks to get back upwind.

The Vision has more rocker, is super lively board, and releases really smoothly. In windy flat water, i.e. Padre conditions, it would probably be fun. We don't have that. And I didn’t try it in Milly conditions with more open wave faces, either. But, for our gusty conditions in choppy water, I don’t have nearly the comfort as the Asylum. It did like slogging, and the extra rocker (and sidecut?) didn’t seem worth it.

I got to try both the new Dually straps and the regular Bolt-ons. The Duallys have more 3D shape potential to your foot, and if you spend some sessions fussing with them, I bet they’d be rock solid. I spent one session fussing, and they were pretty solid, but also pretty uncomfortable…I don’t mean to be negative, I just think it takes some work. The Bolt-ons are super comfy right away, since there is less personalization to them, but don’t lock you in as tightly. That can be good or bad depending on what you want in your straps. Landed heavy a bunch of times, and those footbeds are super cushy! I liked.

So. The 2016 Asylums are on sale now for $399 complete. I ended up getting a new demo in the wrapper with “used” Bolt-ons and baby park/slider type fins from Windance for under $300. The 2016s have the center track, which got phased out after that year. Supposedly stiffer, I didn’t notice a difference when taking it out in 8m and 6m 20-40 conditions last weekend. If you can find a good price on the 2016s - with pads get them.

Overall, the board looks super durable. I guess I’ll find out!
I'd rather be kiting
Geoff

Tighe
Site Admin

Re: Slingshot Asylum vs. Vision Board Review

Postby Tighe » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:39 pm

Great thorough review Geo. Thanks

I've been riding both a lot this year too. Both are incredible boards. I find the Vision is smoother through the chop and as you mention a bit more surfy. I do ride the Vision 140 for a bit more versatility. As far as durability, I have landed absolutely flat on both of these and they didn't care, just kept on performing.

As far as the straps, I don't think you rode the Bolt Ons, as I don't have any in my pool. They were two versions of the Duallys. The blue ones (that look like the bolt ons) are from 2016, and the yellow and grey ones were 2017. I too like the pad on the 2016s.

Some great deals out there on these boards. Pick either of them up and you'll be loving life. If undecided let me know and we can get you trying them on the water.
End of Session Productions
Slingshot Kiteboarding Demo Manager

Geo

Re: Slingshot Asylum vs. Vision Board Review

Postby Geo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:04 pm

I forgot to say THANKS for letting me try those guys back to back.

I think the blue straps that came with my new board are the bolt ons....your blue straps only had one typical velcro strap instead of the two? If not, both they and the ones I have are plenty comfy.
I'd rather be kiting
Geoff

Return to “EOS Chat”