Foil Trials

JRN

Foil Trials

Postby JRN » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:14 pm

I've enjoyed the accounts of locals on foils, and was curious about getting a chance to try it. I have my own ski boat, and would like to borrow or rent one on a weekday to give it a shot. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested, so...

Tighe
Site Admin

Re: Foil Trials

Postby Tighe » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:21 pm

Chad may be offering Rentals. I really can't give out a demo until someone has gone through the learning stage. I could go out with ya though. I agree a lot of people are stoked on them and want to give it a try. I'd be more than willing to come along and share what I know. Weekdays are tough for me other than in the evenings.

You're gonna love it.
End of Session Productions
Slingshot Kiteboarding Demo Manager

JRN

Postby JRN » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:23 pm

Thanks, I'll hit him up.

erics

Postby erics » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:46 am

I'll come drive for you. I've seen some examples of folks getting foil time behind boats. You can fool with my Bic Natural Surf 7'9" if you like too.

JRN

Postby JRN » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:17 am

Thx, E S! I'm going to mount it on my LF Fish, and keep it at the cabin. Hope it doesn't try Pam's patience, and I catch on fast.
Otherwise, I picked Brook's and Lon's brains yesterday ar Ramsey for vital info...wish me luck.

DKR

Postby DKR » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:38 am

Got bit by the foil bug. Have Alian air & hover glide W 15" 24" & 36" masts. Watched a lot of videos. Houston Kiteboarding vids very helpful, plus all local input. Ist try on Washington, 9m 10-20. Was able to ride both ways 100 yds, turn around etc. foil did engage for very brief up an downs. Got the idea of front foot weighting, very strange. Biggest problem trying to get up behind Chad's jet ski. I have never wake boarded before and I could not get up on plane. Chad showed me proper technique on shore, will give it another try. 2nd session on Mille at Reddy Saturday, 9m 15-22. Was able to ride 1/4 mile towards Malmö. Waves, chop and sand bars were an issue. Think smoother water and bigger kite might be better for learning? Hopefully I can ride the shorter masts before the water gets hard, Be careful.......it's addicting!

Tighe
Site Admin

Postby Tighe » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:50 am

So stoked you've been getting out Dean. I think it is a lot easier starting with a kite. I mean the water starting part. Wakeboard boats also help if they have a tower. Adding kite work and foil work together right at the start is challenging but your kite skills are so solid, it may work for you. That's what I did.

Can't wait to ride with you.

Barry P

Postby Barry P » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:43 am

It's so cool to see so many out discovering foiling.

I started learning a foil kite only. At that time I maintained that the lines of force from a kite are a huge advantage because they are so much more vertical than with a boat and also with a kite I am in complete control of the surge of power for coming up and I can shut it down immediately when I want to. No mind-meld required with a boat driver that way.

In talking to guys who've been starting out behind a boat, some find it easy and then when they try it with a kite they are surprised at the learning curve. This surprises me too. I think part may be from developing reflex responses to board dynamics when the lines of force are at a much lower angle than you get with a kite... so when they switch to a kite its a bit alien all over again. Another factor may be that a boat delivers power at a very very constant rate... unlike winds at most of our local lakes. How often have I wished we could have a day or two of more constant winds?

Once you are up and going gusts and lulls seem very easy to deal with, and the foil becomes very stable. During a start everything is pretty precarious and and if the wind doesn't do what you were hoping for then getting back in balance on the way up out of the water (so you can initiate Plan B) is a bigger challenge than I've found on TTs and surfboards. This is because I can't just shove the board around to accommodate a new center of balance because that deep foil only permits the board to pivot, not slide.

Even after a year of foiling one side is still 'better' than my other side. On one side I still mostly use a different start technique than the other (insert eye roll here). I'm right handed and left footed... no changing that. I keep using my good side to teach my dumb side. Nearly every session I discover something new, or some aspect breaks through in some small way to a higher level of refinement, awareness and freedom which is so fun. I am obviously still at the beginning fringes of all foiling has for me. The draw into its freedom is irresistible. I'm having so much fun.

DKR

Postby DKR » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:32 pm

Got up yesterday behind Mike's boat with 7' mast. Took several tries, I wasn't rolling forward enough. I was so excited!!
To Tighe and Barry's points, I think I prefer paying the dues and learning on a kite. Behind a boat is helpful, but the forward pull of a boat and the pull of a kite are quite different.
There's another thing, it's called pride or ego. In spite of reading all of Barry's posts last year I had invisioned myself going behind the curtian and springing out a few days later an accomplished foiler! Hasn't worked, nor should it. I forgot how much fun I had learning to windsurf and kiteboard and how much fun it was sharing the accomplishments of others doing the same thing. For that reason I think learning the art of foiling is going to be really fun.

Tighe
Site Admin

Postby Tighe » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:43 pm

awesome. The learning curve is a bit steep but it is soooooo worth it. I had an epic session on Pepin today, so amazing... silently flowing over the water, surrounded by cliffs, big puffy clouds, sailboats shrinking up and down the river. mmm so good.

think you're gonna love it.

Return to “EOS Chat”