Monday Monday Monday!

Tighe
Site Admin

Monday Monday Monday!

Postby Tighe » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:23 am

Looking like a beautiful day today. SSW winds are spreading across the state, ramping up around noon and raging till 7 or so. Starting mainly South with a tinge of West the forecasts have that shifting to almost a true SW by 4.

Waconia is probably the best bet as it tolerates changes in direction well. Ramsey on WBL could also be good, especially early as SW at Ramsey can get less than ideal. Cannon would be a great later afternoon session as SW is its sweet direction.

While this direction is ideal for Reddy Creek, the wind doesn't look nearly as strong up there.

I'm probably office bound today. Enjoy...and please share your session here.
End of Session Productions
Slingshot Kiteboarding Demo Manager

Tighe
Site Admin

Re: Monday Monday Monday!

Postby Tighe » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:58 pm

I was able to grab a session after work. Traffic wasn't as bad as I thought at 5 and got to waconia around 6:15. The stoke in the parking lot was on full tap. It looked a bit holy out on the water, but most of the riders were still on 10s. I rigged my 8m and had a session on the foil. So amazing to be riding into the sun with shimmering waters below. Pete Koske, few others and I were the only ones out there. Such a magical sunset session. Such a gift.

hope you were able to grab one as well

TjDunklee

Postby TjDunklee » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:24 am

Oh what a day! We decided to make the trip up to Reddy with the hope of smoother wind than what was forecasted in the cities. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived to find 10m conditions and plentiful sunshine. It was a small crew up there but we had a blast riding with Kevin, Matt, and Debbie. We had three separate sessions involving twin tips and surfboards until our legs couldn't take anymore. Back to work today with a dreams of more Reddy waves...

Tighe
Site Admin

Postby Tighe » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:19 pm

oh that sounds sweet Tim. That's my favorite direction for Reddy.

I really didn't think it was going to blow that far north. Way to read the forecasts.

I am needing a good Reddy day. Been far too long.

Geo

Postby Geo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Mike Winter and I hit Troy Beach on the Hudson side of the St. Croix across and up from St. Mary's Beach. He and Kevin have sailed out of there a bunch but for me: the first time.

Troy is best with some SW component in it. Yesterday it was straight south. The beach is pretty nice, and on a south there is a 10' wind shadow by shore. Good for launching, not good for riding. No shallows whatsoever.

But, when we got to the wind line, there was plenty of wind. I ride an 8 fully powered from about 2:45 to 5:00. The waves were OK...not as pitchy as Cannon, and open in some spots and weirdly disorganized in others, but still nice enough to get some good strapless pop. When I headed out Mike was WAY down wind (up river), so I thought maybe he had a breakdown. After a few minutes I look around and he is tacking up to me: "Waves are better down wind". So we carve strapless down wind and play there for a while. And then came back. Super easy and Gorge-like getting to go upwind or downwind with the current helping. I like it.
Next session was on the twintip. Conditions were great in terms of being slowly rising and falling wind lines, letting you push the tricks in some places where the wind was lower, and get some big pop in the heavier sections. After sailing strong south in White Bear and having punchy gusty sessions, that was way more fun, and really no farther of a drive for me (from 280+94), and definitely closer than Milly of course.

It will be interesting if the waves smooth out with more sw in them, or from a straight north. And it would be interesting to see what the wind and the current in the same direction would do.
I'd rather be kiting
Geoff

Tighe
Site Admin

Postby Tighe » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:34 am

sweet thanks for the report. Always good to hear about other spots than the normal options. Love the Croix when the direction works well. Falls off my radar too often. Gotta remember to check it out again soon.

Return to “EOS Chat”